RIISS00054 TRAFFIC CONTROLLER SKILL SET
Formally known as Blue Card, our Traffic Controller course is a great entry point for those wishing to begin a career in the traffic control industry with the main responsibility of stopping and starting traffic using a stop/slow bat, portable traffic light or boom gate.
Same day certification! You will be ready to commence work when you leave the classroom!
This is a SafeWork NSW approved training program, on completion of this course you will be issued with a SafeWork NSW Traffic Control Work Training Card.
Best value entry level traffic control course if you already have a White Card! Most employers will require you to have a White Card to gain employment!
Our Traffic Controller course will help you gain the skills and knowledge needed to:
- Stop/direct road users using a stop/slow bat, portable traffic light or boom gate
- Monitor traffic with portable traffic control devices and temporary traffic signs
- Maintain traffic incident reports
- Understand the Traffic Guidance Schemes (TGS) for the site
- Assess and respond to changes in the environment, such as traffic volumes & weather conditions
- Carry out risk assessments for personal safety
- Participate in toolbox talks
- Use communication methods such as a two-way radio
This course does not allow you to set up, monitor or close down a TGS/TMP. Please see our Implement Traffic Control Plans page (formally known as Yellow Card) for this course.
Most traffic control employers require employees to hold a current SafeWork NSW Traffic Controller and Implement Traffic Control Plans credentials (formally known as Blue & Yellow Cards).
Please see our traffic control combo page here for this great offer.
Please see below Course Outcome tab for additional information.
This course has specific ID requirements. Please familiarise yourself with this requirement prior to attending the course as the incorrect or wrong ID can result in you not being able to complete the course on your scheduled day, full course fee payable to reschedule.
Upskill Institute requires students undertaking this course to:
- Be at least 17 years of age to participate in the training
- Have a current SafeWork NSW White Card (or equivalent). Most traffic control worksites will require the worker to have a White Card. We offer the White Card course as a combo with traffic control courses on our website
- Provide a USI (usi.gov.au)
- Provide original ID documents that add up to at least 100 points in line with SafeWork NSW ID points table – click here to view ID points table. Within these documents, you must be able to show your photo ID, date of birth, signature, and current residential address
- Successfully complete a language, literacy and numeracy assessment
- Have the physical capacity to demonstrate lifting equipment, signs and devices for training & assessment
- Training day: Wear comfortable clothing and shoes to complete the practical training
- Live practical assessment day: Wear suitable work boots, long trousers, long sleeved shirt, hat and a high visibility vest (or shirt) for all practical training and live assessments
This course requires both self-study and in class training and assessment.
- The self-study component requires the completion of a workbook. Self-study instructions will be emailed to you upon successful enrolment into the course
- In-class training consists of one day attendance (eight hours) of classroom-based training, theory/practical assessments and allocated breaks
- The practical live assessment is on a separate day and will need to be scheduled through the website under the practical live assessment tab, the assessment will take up to four hours
After your initial theory and practical training is successfully completed, you will be issued with a SafeWork NSW Statement of Completion (SOC) which allows you to work immediately under supervision within its period of validity.
The Statement of Completion is valid for 90 days, during this time you will be required to complete a workplace live practical assessment in order to receive your SafeWork NSW Traffic Control Work Training (TCWT) card.
Please refer to our Traffic Control Live Assessment page to book your live practical assessment.
After successful completion of your training and assessment (initial theory and practical training + live practical assessment), you will receive your nationally recognised a Statement of Attainment (SOA) and Upskill Institute will submit notification to SafeWork NSW to issue you with a SafeWork NSW Traffic Control Work Training (TCWT) card.
Note: Your SafeWork NSW TCWT card may take up to four weeks to arrive in the post from SafeWork NSW.
Please consider that your Statement of Completion may expire before your card is received. If you don’t receive your card, please call SafeWork NSW on 13 10 50.
You will also receive a Statement of Attainment (SOA) via email.
The following units will be awarded to successful participants in this course:
- RIIWHS201D – Work safely and follow WHS policies and work procedures
- RIICOM201D – Communicate in the workplace
- RIIWHS206 – Control traffic with portable traffic control devices and temporary traffic signs
- RIIWHS205E – Control traffic with stop-slow bat
To view full unit details please visit:
Enrolment to this course is made with Upskill Institute Pty Ltd RTO 45708 & SafeWork NSW approval number RTO800520.
Please refer to the student handbook for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.
Refunds for any booked courses that is requested seven (7) days prior to the course commencement date is available less 10% bank transaction and administration fees. Any refunds for booked courses that is requested within six (6) days of the course commencement date, 50% of the course fee is refundable only. Any requests on the day or after course commencement, no refund is available.
Requests for transfers to alternate programs can be arranged if Upskill Institute are advised in writing more than seven (7) days prior to the program commencement date and there is availability. One transfer will be accepted without charge, all subsequent transfers will attract an administration charge of $55.00.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is available for this qualification. If you believe you have the acquired the skills and knowledge contained in this unit of competency though other training and workplace experience, please contact our administration team.
Subject to your experience, the administration team can advise you on:
- the RPL process
- your chances of being successful with an RPL application
- the time and costs associated with an RPL application
COVID 19 Response
Our rooms are cleaned daily, all tables have been separated to ensure social distancing guidelines are adhered to, we have hand sanitisers and face masks available to all students as required. For the safety of participants and staff, entry will be refused to persons displaying flu like symptoms.
40-44 Wollongong Rd, Arncliffe NSW 2205
3 mins walk from Arncliffe station + street parking available!
1 day – Ready to commence work when you leave!
+ practical live assessment (completed on another ½ day)
$238.00 $210 (includes $25 SafeWork NSW fee)
+ $60 practical live assessment fee